Trying to get healthy is such a mess seriously it feels like you have to slip on your hip waders to get through all the bullshit. I think this is seriously one of the biggest barriers to health is that there is so much info out there on how to be healthy that it is completely overwhelming.

After my second baby when I was trying to change my diet for the better I got to a place where I was thinking I had to buy all sort of expensive “superfood” type items or I would be doing it “wrong”. Now before I dig in here I just want to say that I don’t have a problem with these items, I just think that they maybe aren’t necessary for those of us just boarding the healthy living strugglebus.

This post may contain affiliate links. For more info on affiliate links click here. You’re support of what we do here is much appreciated!

Healthy Things You Don’t Need

3 things you don't need when you are trying to eat healthy

1. Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are touted as a legit superfood and that is for pretty good reason. They contain large amounts of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, and they are also great sources of fibre and protein. There’s also about a million other reasons they are good for you and you should include them in your diet but let’s be real that’s not what you’re here for.

Chia seeds are insanely expensive so if you don’t have a specific recipe in mind (like chia jam for example) then I really wouldn’t bother. Your average person just looking to eat healthier and cook for their family doesn’t need to be loading up on chia seeds. They just don’t.

I have chia seeds on occassion but that’s because it is in Qia cereal, which is one of my favorite smoothie toppings. But to be honest it totally isn’t necessary and I would consider my health level as “intermediate” at this point.

Wondering why I picked these out of all the superfoods to pick on? Perhaps it’s the fact that they get stuck in your teeth and fuzz up which has personally offended me. Also fun fact they are the very same seeds used in Chia pets, which I feel is a much better reason to have them in your home.

2. Protein Powder or Shakes

I know this one might ruffle some feathers but my focus right here is on people trying to just eat better. If you are not powerlifting, some sort of athlete or getting recommendation from your doctor to be on protein powder then that shit is probably not necessary. And just because we’re getting controversial here I will just add that people typically seem to think that we all need way more protein than we actually do.

In regards to shakes, if drinking them motivates you or helps you support your friends or family members business then that is totally great, and I get it. I also have much respect for the hustle. However for the average person just looking to get healthy you are more than capable of pulling together proper nutrition from other sources than powdered shakes. I understand the convenience factor of these because I actually have used my fair share of these products in the past because I “didn’t have time to eat” or wanted to make sure I was getting “enough” of everything. But truth be told, the cost of these things can add up and it really isn’t that much harder to just eat food or make smoothies if you feel like getting your drink on is easier.

3. Organic Foods

Ha! If you thought I was going to end the controversy with that last one then think again. I decided to ramp it up for this one.

With the amount of junk in food these days buying organic obviously seems like the better option.ย  However, there are tons of us who can’t just afford to buy organic produce all the time. Additionally, there has been some evidence that suggests that organic food may come with it’s own set of issues. For the average beginner trying to get healthy I would recommend that you work on getting more produce into your diet period before worrying about whether or not it’s organic. Personally I love to support local first, then organic if my budget permits.

However, if you are needing to choose between regular and organic then I would recommend you familiarize yourself with the dirty dozen and the clean fifteen and make your choices accordingly.

In Conclusion

Throw everything that doesn’t fit your lifestyle out the window and eat more vegetables.

What things do you think we don’t need when trying to get healthy? Let us know in the comments!

The health world can be full of a lot of BS. here are 3 things I think you DON'T need when trying to eat healthy! #health #healthyfood #weightloss #cleaneating #eatclean #healthytips #fitspo #eatinghealthy
Pin Me!

1. Renee November 20, 2017 at 6:32 am

Love these! I went through that same battle with protein shakes…they are still a heavily processed “food” and I just want to eat…

1. MandiEm November 20, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Agreed ๐Ÿ˜‚

2. jayywing November 20, 2017 at 9:03 am

Great post! Breaks some healthy diet myths.

3. saveymommy2 November 20, 2017 at 12:39 pm

This was hilarious and awesome! Love it!

4. Mindy November 20, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yeah! I love your approach to this. I agree 100%. I know so many people try to eat organic but that’s a step further down the road. It’s not necessary. I certainly can’t afford it !

1. MandiEm November 20, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I know right! Baby steps ๐Ÿ˜‚

5. Jacklyn November 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Love this and totally agree with you! While weโ€™re throwing out the chia seeds and protein powders can we please get rid of the maca powder? Throw it in your smoothie , itโ€™s so good for you they say โ€ฆ have any of these people actually tried that sh*t?! It tastes awful!! I donโ€™t care how good for you it is, no one should be subjecting themselves to that! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. MandiEm November 20, 2017 at 7:22 pm

I have never tried Maca and now I won’t bother hahaha!

6. thepsychogrok December 11, 2017 at 8:33 am

Great post. I think when trying to eat healthy, most people cut salt from their diet and drink copious amounts of water. This combination is a bad idea!! We need to practice moderation which is the key to eating healthy..

7. thelumberjackandthegypsy December 12, 2017 at 9:53 am

Because I am old and a hundred pounds over the height/weight chart, I feel I am qualified to comment. When I was young (back in the Dark Ages of the 60โ€™s and 70โ€™s) Twiggy was The IT girl. And diet pills were all the rage as was the Grapefruit Diet and the Atkins Diet and I even did the Protein Liquid Diet (which if I remember correctly, which is suspect as I am old and my memory is not what it once was, killed a bunch of folks) and back in 2000, I went vegetarian (which lasted four years until a coney dog took me down). I have at one time or another gone sugarless, caffeineless, carbless, eggless, breadless, ate grapefruit and tuna until I would gag, got wired from diet pills and finally said the hell with it all. Because thin, healthy eating, exercising people still die. I am now of the mind that moderation in all things is the way to go (not that I follow that, but I do believe it!). None of us will live forever and with the way the world is today, we could be gone tomorrow! I always said I would be so pissed if I got thin and then died. Well, unless I get some disease that eats me up, that ainโ€™t gonna happen and every glass of wine I drink or every slice of pizza I eat, I enjoy immensely! โ€œEat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may dieโ€ as the Bible says!

1. MandiEm December 12, 2017 at 3:33 pm

So true! And yes we all die in the end! No matter where we fall on the scale ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

8. nancyruth December 12, 2017 at 4:29 pm

nice post. You hit the nail on the head with this one.

9. on the level December 28, 2017 at 6:41 am

The protein shake thing kills me. My best friends wife is very heavy, doesn’t exercise and constantly drinks expensive protein shakes and thinks she’s going to lose weight. She’s bigger than ever. SMH. Some good solid common sense here good post

1. MandiEm December 28, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Thanks so much! Yeah I was convinced at one point I NEEDED protein shakes in my smoothies. Because apparently a couple hundred calories worth of processed powder goo will make me skinny? Lol oops

10. floweringink December 28, 2017 at 12:54 pm

I love your approach to all of this Mandi. You help me feel that it’s possible to be healthy and still be a real person. You are awesome!

1. MandiEm December 28, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Thank you so much that is totally my intention!!

11. thenotoriouslex December 30, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Up until seven years ago, I lived on coffee, vodka, the kids’ leftovers, stress and 4 hours sleep a night, if I was lucky. My weight went up and up and up slowly but steadily. Now I eat fresh veg almost every day, drink water, cut out lots of sugary stuff, and only eat until I feel I’ve had enough, rather than cleaning my plate. My weight still goes up and up and up and I’m close to just giving up.. it doesn’t seem to matter how hard I try to eat better, and how much crap I cut out of my diet, my weight continues to rise.

1. MandiEm December 30, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, so that must be really frustrating. I know it can be really hard to try and not see the progress you are working so hard for. Maybe shift your focus from the weight aspect and try to take note of the positives in other areas from healthy eating? There are lots of different things that can Influence the scale. I think that might be why the are so many success stories with a variety of different approaches, instead of one size fits all. I have been through the same though and it can really suck

12. Scribbles and Tostitos February 9, 2018 at 5:06 pm

I’m kinda relieved that protein powder is on your list. I didn’t want to say it, but personally, I don’t like it. I know people who swear by it though. I thought it was me.

But question, what do you think about the Fed Up special on Netflix about eliminating sugars from your diet in order to lose weight? That movie made it seem like lack of exercise wasn’t as detrimental as sugar.

1. MandiEm February 9, 2018 at 5:15 pm

I barely exercise I lost almost all the weight from cutting sugars. This is the magic bullet in my experience. Check out my weight loss page I go into this is more detail.