Today we’re going to cover a fun indoor gardening DIY activity that is totally fun and easy to do (even with the kids).

Let’s get lucky!

Now, by “getting lucky” I mean finding genetically mutated leaves on weeds that grow literally everywhere, including the yard of that bitch Susan up the street that got hummus on your best suburban slacks at the neighborhood drunken block party.

That’s right bitches, we’re talking about FOUR LEAF CLOVERS

How to Find 4 Leaf Clovers

Finding four leaf clovers has never been difficult for me. For some reason, my eye is attracted to them and I can spot them even while walking down the street.

Four Leaf Clover Patch

As I was growing up, my mother had the same talent, and we later found out that my grandmother had it too #uselesshereditarynonsense

So in my lifetime, I have found hundreds of them! Although some people think they are good luck, I certainly have not found them to have brought me any noticeable change in luck. I’m still here re-using teabags and waiting for my goddamn lottery win.

Four leaf clover

It’s a good conversation starter though, especially since I’ve even met garbage people who don’t believe they exist at all.

How to Find a Four Leaf Clover

Scanning the grass is the best way to find a four leaf clover. Practice keeping your eyes peeled in hopes of finding one of these shifty fuckers. That’s the first step since your chances of finding something significantly decrease if you aren’t, ya know, looking.

Here is the important part- if you happen to find one, hunker down and keep looking in the patch and you will probably find more. If you find a four leaf clover, that indicates that there is a mutation in the patch and so you can often find clovers that have even more than 4 leaves (I have found ones with up to 10 leaves).

This is why when I was younger, my Mom would pull up the roots of a four leaf clover, so we could plant our own “lucky clover patches”. I remembered this the other day when I was out for a walk with my little ones, and we found a monster clover patch with loads of four (and plus) leaf clovers.

So I dug a couple of them up by the roots in the hopes of starting my own little “lucky clover patch” for the kids.

How to Make Your Own 4 Leaf Clover Patch

Materials:

• Container for planting (I used a planters almond container that was destined for the recycle bin because upcycling is bae)
  • Gravel
  • Potting mix
  • Four leaf clovers with roots attached

Instructions:

• Clean your container so that it is ready for planting.
  • Add some gravel to the bottom of the container as you did for the Windowsill Herb Garden. Cover with potting mix (different than potting soil) up to the top of the container.
  • Poke holes into the soil and add your clover roots. Water and keep in a sunny place.

You can also do this in a large planter or even in your yard or garden. I only used a container because we live in a fucking shoebox with no access to a place we can garden.

You have now started your lucky 4 leaf clover patch! Hopefully, with a little luck, you can start to grow your own three, four and possibly more leaf clovers.

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Pinterest

1. Vanessa Vasquez May 29, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I had no idea I could grow 4 leaf clovers!! That means lots of good luck for every day, I am not so good with gardening but I wanna try it. Thanks for this great idea.

1. MandiEm May 29, 2017 at 4:33 pm

If you try it let me know how it goes! And if you get any luck 🙂

2. Daniella May 30, 2017 at 7:07 am

What an awesome post! I used to find them easily as a child, not so much now. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for one to grow!

1. MandiEm May 30, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Let me know how it goes!

3. Jen from Jennibearrxo August 28, 2017 at 2:32 pm

This is so neat! I didn’t even know you could grow patches of them! I just thought they’d just randomly show up. I remember as a kid, searching and searching through clover patches to find one, haha!

1. MandiEm August 28, 2017 at 7:58 am

It’s a mutation in the patch so while not guaranteed it is totally possible! If you ever find one keep your eyes peeled within the patch for more!!

4. fauxlex September 23, 2018 at 7:07 am

I distinctly remember finding a four leaf clover as a child on a hill and then finding them all over the place nearby. So I can confirm!

5. Alton January 23, 2019 at 5:49 pm

They say you are not to show, tell or even let anyone touch the four leaf clover you find or they get your luck. It’s to remain a secret. I too am amazing at finding them I have found hundreds as well and never New this bit of information until recently.

6. Stephanie Haws April 5, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I have found lots of 4 leaf cloves…my kids no longer even care to look at them when I find them because we will just be walking and I spot them but I thought I would try again putting my 4 leave clover into water to see if it root and low and behold it finally did ive tried this afew times n never had luck and I’m gonna try to plant it just to see what happens and see if it will produce more cant wait to see

7. Lenny June 3, 2019 at 12:21 pm

It is a strange habit finding four leaf clovers. Just as you my eye spot them and them even while I’m riding a bicycle or even stand in line for the traffic light. My daughter and son are also four leave clover finders. So same here, it’s a family thing. But I never had spoken to someone else how found so much lucky clovers as we do. Same her is that people think that they don’t exist at all. All over Europe we see them. When there is grass there are four leave clovers, unless we have already been there. Your tip to grow them out of four leave roots is something I’m going to try this summer.