Happiness is a complicated concept.
In this world of instant gratification, I for one am highly fucking offended that you can’t swipe your way to happiness. Swipe swipe swipe. Whenever I try and swipe my greasy taco chip fingers across my life I just can’t seem to get “matched” with the happy. Boo.

Also I’m not sure about you, but somewhere along the line I guess I got into the habit of postdating my happiness to some obscure future time. I find myself obsessively thinking of when I will be happy. When I have a house, when I have more money, when I have more space, more time, etc. etc.
One of my greatest existential flaws is that I tend to fall into the trap of looking to the future so much (“I will be happy when “x” happens”) that I often forget to appreciate the small happy moments that I’m in.
Although it’s not beneficial to “postpone” your happiness into the future, there are some things that we just have to do as grownups when preparing for the future that can make us happier or help us reach our goals. Diet and exercise are good examples, as they are things that you can work towards each day that have incredible impacts upon your future physical and mental health.

But let’s be honest you aren’t wanting to hear me slap you in the brain with more vegetable talk right now, so let’s talk about some other simple as fuck things you can do in the short term that have the potential to dramatically unfuck your life and increase your happiness in the days to come.

This post contains affiliate links to support my canned Margarita habit. For more info on affiliate links, click here

Simple Ways to Unfuck Your Life and Be Happier

Get your ass out of debt

Woman holding money in front of her eyes
Image via Pixabay

Being in debt is like being under an invisible 2 ton pile of dog shit. You can’t really see it so it kind of doesn’t feel real, but at the same time it’s fucking heavy, it stinks, and it’s a potential barrier to things you need because people/companies etc. don’t want to be near it.

However getting out of debt can be easier than it seems. Don’t overwhelm yourself. Simply replace 1 fast food meal or 2 coffees per month by putting the 5 or 10 dollars you would have spent on top of your minimum payment for the debt you owe with the most interest.

The is is the start of your debt avalanche payoff technique. Once you become addicted to paying off debt (and you will be, because paying interest is essentially throwing money away) you can gradually increase the number you are putting towards this to get out of debt faster.

Interest is fucking evil and awful and you do not need to be lining the pockets of some fucking bank asshole when you can take that money and do something way more productive with it. The problem with debt is it seems really fucking overwhelming but doing simple things like this that only require teeny tiny life changes can unfuck your financial situation in a BIG way over time.

We got out of $80000 worth of debt and I can tell you that being debt free feels AMAZING.

PLANT SOMETHING.

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

You are a glowy, nuturing Earth Goddess! Kids are terrifying, soothe your aching uterus with potted plants. If you are reading this and you’re a man, chin up! I’m not excluding you. Get a potted plant and grow your own uterus… The one that’s in your heart. Things are getting weird but that’s ok, your strong manly hearterus can handle it.

And when I say plant something, I mean plant something that will have interactive value in your life in the future. Something that you can look at, smell, or eat with the knowledge that it was cultivated and nurtured by you. For bonus points, do this with kids if you have them. Kids fucking love dirt and making shit happen, so you can share this experience with them while also helping them feel a sense of pride and self sufficiency. Bonus points, doing shit like this gets you way better parenting points then watching Paw Patrol until you are having deeply disturbing semi-erotic dreams about Mayor Goodway’s purse chicken.

Keep in mind you do not need much space to do this! My son and I planted some of our homemade seed paper in a ratty old solo cup like a couple of old ladies trying to spruce up a frat party. We love saying good morning to our little sprouts everyday.

Click here for instructions on Growing your own Microgreens Indoors

Click here for How to Make your own Lucky 4 Leaf Clover Patch!

Click here for how to grow your own Indoor Herb Garden!

Tackle one thing on your to do list that has been nagging at you.

Look at all that shit you’re avoiding!

Now take a look around, identify what those things are, and just…fucking….DO THEM.

If you are feeling really ambitious, find the job you want to do the least and do that one first. The avoidance of tasks can drain a lot of mental energy and cause a lot of stress. And let’s be honest- you need that mental energy to keep up with this blog (boom).

There are a variety of reason why we procrastinate, but action really is the only remedy. You’ll probably find that worrying about doing the task was much worse than actually tackling it head on.

1. via GIPHY

Connect with people.

Actual real life humans! Not online.

Hey you look over there, its a window! See that shit on the other side?? That’s called the world and yes it’s scary and full of assholes but sometimes you gotta just get out there and smell a stranger.

You know that feeling you get from getting really pissed off by some random at the mall? Kind of exhilarating right? Maybe it’s the thrill of human connection?

What things are you going to do to help your future happy?

Stalk me all over the internet you glorious weirdo

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Web Hosting

1. Paula May 27, 2017 at 6:35 pm

This is a great post! I’m going to check out the book, and implement some of these suggestions. Thanks so much!

1. MandiEm May 27, 2017 at 6:38 pm

No problem! I would recommend the book to anyone. I was blown away by the psychology of happiness, and also the writer presented the info in a very humorous and interesting way πŸ™‚

2. Tara Mallick June 1, 2017 at 3:43 am

I love your list! I was expecting to find your run-of-the-mill “How To Be Happy” list, but the idea to plant something and/or take care of something you are avoiding was great. This is a list I can get behind!

1. MandiEm June 1, 2017 at 4:11 am

Thanks so much! I found that these things were really what have been helpful for me lately πŸ™‚

3. Slowβ€’oβ€’lution June 6, 2017 at 6:39 am

I love this post…….it is not difficult to be happy, but I almost have the feeling that in today’s reality we have forgotten how to be happy, we have lost touch with what makes us happy!!!!! We are living in such a material environment that all we do is want more…..and yet we need to little to be happy!

1. MandiEm June 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Its so true πŸ™‚

4. Leo March 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I love this! I wrote something similar about how we have this path already laid out to us by our parents and as soon as we deviate it creates so much stress. We go to school and wrack up debt and then we have to pay it off with a lackluster job we discover we dont like. But, the upside is things get easier especially once we decide what our true path is.
    Im working on all these things now. I just finished paying off my credit card. What an effing mistake that was. I feel as free as a bird now lol. Super happy.

1. MandiEm March 5, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Can you drop a link here?? I’d love to read that! I’m struggling right now with this as I truly feel like quitting everything and moving far away haha

5. iwannabealady March 5, 2018 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been kicking myself for still not starting the herb and vegetable garden that I insist I’m the type of person to have. I need this in my life and I’m clicking the links and planting shit this year. Thanks boo!

1. MandiEm March 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Plant the shit girl just do it!! Hippy life is the best life!

6. Billy Mac March 5, 2018 at 6:44 pm

I love your style. Additionally it’s a great post

1. MandiEm March 6, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Thanks so much!!

7. The Cupcake Witch March 5, 2018 at 8:53 pm

I legit lost my shit at “get out there and smell a stranger.” OMG.

Developing some semblance of a social life is pretty important, though. It’s why I’ve kept going to church, even though I’m not really a Christian. Just being around people who are nice to me and ask me about my life once a week is delightful.

1. MandiEm March 6, 2018 at 7:46 pm

It’s so true. I am not religious but there is a strong community there

8. Cassie March 6, 2018 at 1:25 pm

This is greatness! Wow, congrats on your debt pay-off! That is an inspiration for sure! I loved the “get out there and smell a stranger”!!!

1. MandiEm March 6, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Thank you so much!!

9. Mishqueen March 7, 2018 at 12:18 am

Hearterus! That’s the best thing I’ve heard all day! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

So I get an A (ok ok B+) on some of this stuff (gardening, never getting into debt in the first place, hanging out with real people), but then I’m dragged down into straight F territory in the Getting Sheeeite Done category. I’m not even going to tell you my really good excuses because I’m tired of them being so effective at getting in my way. It’s getting really bad. People are foraging for their own meals, bathrooms get cleaned when the surfaces start to feel furry, and I can wear clean clothes for months without laundry so clearly I’m overdue to purge everything I own. I realized when I picked up my third chronic illness (not even the fun mj kind) that I haven’t accomplished a long term goal.
    In.
    10.
    Years.

Yet I hang on to beliefs that I too, can prevent forest fires…no, that got off track, I mean that I too can move my little business online. And I watch you and am inspired!

(But not to clean the bathrooms).

1. MandiEm March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Hahahaha I think getting shit done is sooo hard. Harder than most things that’s for sure. It’s difficult not to get sucked into the big picture

10. Mishqueen March 7, 2018 at 12:27 am

I seriously don’t know what I’d do without my church. I bet near-on half of my very best lifelong friends were met through church somewhere/somewhen. Even if I completely lost my faith, they would still be there for me and take care of us. I know it’s true because I’ve watched them do it for others. It’s true love! But instead of losing my faith (despite my best efforts), it strengthens me and reminds me that if they love me *this* much, God loves me so much more and that’s just CRAZY. That’s bat-guano crazy!
    But good to remember!

11. Mishqueen March 7, 2018 at 12:28 am

I tried to put this reply under cupcake witch.

*fail*

12. floweringink March 7, 2018 at 9:35 am

So, I am sick and under a rock for a few days and you are out here changing the fucking world! I love the new look and all of this gorgeous unleashing. xoxoxo

1. MandiEm March 7, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Aww thanks xoxox I hope you feel better soon

13. the incurable dreamer March 7, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I’m totally going to sniff a stranger tomorrow! AMAZING! Haha. I would love to plant something, but I am homeless. On my to-do list for tomorrow – FIND HOME.

1. MandiEm March 8, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Haha homes are overrated. if it weren’t for all these kids I might be tempted to chase that nomadic life

14. Tom Being Tom March 9, 2018 at 10:26 am

Smart stuff! I recently got out of $80,000 in debt myself, but I did it the other way. πŸ˜‰ 3 more years and I’m back in the game! 🀣

Another thing I’ve learned along the way, and you alluded to this, is to enjoy the now. Obviously, do that with an eye to the future (or you’ll end up $80,000 in debt, unhealthy, and – probably – alone!) because future you deserves at least as much happiness as current you. Maybe more.

I try to set long-term goals that will increase my life satisfaction, and that of the missus. I’d like to own a business together down the road again, so she can get out of the grind, and I’d like to trade out the president for a competent human being. Both would increase happiness, quiet greatly. 😎

1. MandiEm March 9, 2018 at 1:12 pm

I’m really trying to enjoy the now more. This is without a doubt what is the most missing from my life