Well the holidays are (almost) over and it’s just about time to get back to real life.

I know for a lot of us the holidays can be a time of broken routines and pauses in our dietary or weight loss goals. If you are trying to get your ass back on the wagon after the holidays or after ANY time, I am about to hit you with some seriously life-changing knowledge.

The One Thing You are Doing to Sabotage Your Health Goals

“I ate like shit today”
“I ate terribly, I’m such a failure”
“I ate so many carbs I’m such an asshole”

Do any of these sound like you? I know for a fact they sound an awful lot like me.

And why is that? In almost any other area of life if you do something inconsistent with your goals, slipping up or not hitting your targets has nothing to do with who you are as a person.

For example, if you are trying to save money or pay off debt you don’t buy a Starbucks and automatically become the worst trash on the planet.

But if you are trying to eat healthier and buy a Starbucks cookie or scone, all of a sudden you start treating yourself like some sort of monster who kills puppies and robs old ladies.

Let’s all just calm the fuck down here.

Guilt and Shame are Shitty Motivators

As useless as the male nipple (although I am secretly holding out hope that these serve some yet unknown purpose like mesmerizing aliens or calming zombie hordes).

The point is that guilt and shame are things that should NEVER be wrapped up in your feels towards food.

THIS is the single thing you are doing wrong that is derailing all of your healthy eating efforts. Because when you are beating yourself up about your food choices you are voluntarily allowing yourself to fall into this guilt and shame spiral that feeds itself with more of the same.

This is what drives that saying “Eat your feelings”.

For some of us, allowing that cycle to start turning is sentencing ourselves to keep repeating it over and over.

Eat like shit, feel like shit, eat like shit, rinse and repeat.

What to Do Instead

I was once told that identifying a problem has no value unless you can also suggest a fix. So here it is:

Replace “I ate like shit” with “I ate inconsistent with my health/weight loss goals”.

Your self talk is powerful. Feed yourself messages that are non judgemental and suggest your own control over your life. If my experiences with binge eating and depression taught me anything it’s that those dark and helpless places can be as comfortable as they are miserable.

Fighting for change can be hard work, while keeping up this illusion that you are powerless is warm and comforting like slipping into a warm bath.

Except what’s actually happening is that you are fucking drowning in your own apathy.

Acknowledge what’s been done, take a deep breath and move on!

This was a game changer for me in every area of life where my poor choices led to dysfunction. However it is work, it doesn’t come naturally, and it takes a lot of practice.

Its like learning to walk or ride a bike. You will try, fail, pick up again, etc. etc. for probably your whole life. But I can guarantee you that doing this and failing over and over while still keeping at it will bring you more success in the long run then continuing to beat yourself up and staying stuck in that guilt and shame spiral.

Even if you’re in the midst of a binge or just feeling like shit about your choices, just take a deep breath and let that bitch go.

And By Move On, I Mean Now

You are a badass glorious human being and you don’t need to “get back to it” tomorrow, Monday or on New Years. Every minute and microsecond is your time to take back your fucking power. It’s the gift you give yourself! you don’t need some arbitrary jump off point that sets you behind even further in life.

One of my goals in the future is to share more about my experiences with disordered eating patterns but for now I just wanted to give this advice which has been the most effective for me in finding food freedom and achieving my weight loss goals.

Are you guilty of this? What are your best tips for getting back on the old proverbial horse?

The bad habit that's sabotaging your goals and what you can do to fix it Pin
Pin It!

Follow us on Instagram for more food, sass, and the things I microblog between posts

1. floweringink December 28, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I have been beating the crap out of myself all day for having mashed potatoes and stuffing for lunch, and I was totally ready to phone it in until tomorrow, but then I read this and I am going to rock the rest of my day! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

1. MandiEm December 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for reading! Also sounds like we had similar food choices this week πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ we are all in this together, carbs be damned haha

2. Tom Being Tom December 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Okay, confession time: I’ve had a bad holiday season. I mean, eating-wise. I’ve been in this great place, physically, for a year and almost-a-half. You know that feeling when all your pants fit? I’ve been there for almost 18 months.

Until October.

Sometime then I started to think my holiday started early and, to be honest, I started telling myself it’s all my fault.

(Actually, it was all my fault)

But, I need to get back on track. Like. Now. Well, after these enchiladas and guacamole. Then … NOW!

On a side note, I’d like to think I’d be pretty good at mesmerizing aliens and calming zombie hordes. πŸ€”

Mandi, thank you for your uplifting (and non-judgmental) posts … I intend to be healthier in 2018 then I have been in … well, ever. And I have a feeling you will be instrumental in the change that is to come. Namaste, sister!

1. MandiEm December 28, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks so much for your support! You will get where you need to be for sure. Just eat your enchiladas and don’t make it weird πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

3. Cindy U December 29, 2017 at 4:30 am

great tips πŸ™‚

4. blessmyf🍎🍏dbypayal December 31, 2017 at 9:40 pm

New day, New Year, New Beginning.
    Wishing you a year of immeasurable pleasure, joy and peace.

Have a blessed and prosperous 2018. πŸ’πŸ’

1. MandiEm January 1, 2018 at 7:24 am

Thank you! Wishing you the same 🌷🌻

1. MandiEm January 1, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Thank you! Love your site by the way

1. MandiEm January 1, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I tried to follow on WP but didn’t see a follow button. I’ll try on desktop

5. Shams January 4, 2018 at 9:20 am

Healthy tips. Let’s start 2018 with Keto diet.

6. openmouthsgetfed January 5, 2018 at 10:40 pm

This is the whole truth, especially about the arbitrary times for getting back on track with goals. I think it helps me to identify why my body wants something counterintuitive to what my brain is saying. And sometimes it’s just time for a cookie. I just need to set up my life so it’s only one cookie and not an entire pack of Oreos. Mmmm Oreos.

1. MandiEm January 6, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Absolutely. Sometimes it really is just time for a cookie. And yes hmmmm Oreos!

7. After The Party January 6, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Oh my God, this was perfect for me today! I have massive PMS and sleep ate toast slathered in butter and jam (you know, when you kinda wake up from a nap just enough to stuff your face but not enough to care what you are eating? Is that just me?) anyway, feeling pretty crappy about myself in general, but…you are so right! I ate some toast. That’s it.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I really needed to read this. Thank you!

1. MandiEm January 6, 2018 at 3:50 pm

That’s not just you. I do that but with crackers. Plain ass crackers. Not even something worth feeling shitty for! Btw toast with butter and jam is heavenly (especially strawberry)

8. Parth Agarwal January 6, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Fabulous!! That is me at times.. you have hit the nail on its headπŸ™‰
    Great tips , will try to follow!😊😊 Thank you!😊

1. MandiEm January 6, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Thank you for reading!!

1. Parth Agarwal January 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm

My pleasure 😊😊 please do check out my blog whenever possible πŸ˜„